- BY admin
- POSTED IN Blog
- WITH 0 COMMENTS
- STANDARD POST TYPE
If you have any leaks in your roof then you most probably have saturated roofing insulation. Cezar’s Construction Inc is an expert roofing contractor and can fix any leak.
- The water will eventually leak into the building because the insulation has soaked up all the water and is overflowing like a full mug.
- The article below has some good tips:
- The reason why it is important to identify saturated roofing?
- How do roofing contractors find wet areas?
- How do the contractors remedy the wet area?
- Must a roof that has 10-30% saturation be repaired or can a tear-off work?
Cezar’s Construction Inc is one of the best roofing companies in the business. They will make sure that the wet insulation is removed and replaced, and they will install a new insulated roofing system. The roofing contractors will ensure that you have an insulated non-leaking roof. The most important thing to remember is never to put a roof over wet insulation because it will cause problems later.
The article has been reviewed and edited and has the approval to be published by a commercial roofing professional with over 30 years of experience in roofing systems.
Here we go!
REASONS WHY YOU MUST DETERMINE SATURATED ROOFING MATERIAL
- Evidence that your roof has a leak or is about to start leaking is when there is saturated roofing material.
- When it has been established that the roofing membrane does have a water entry point, it could be one of the following reasons why:
- There is a hole in the membrane allowing water in
- There is a section of the seam that has come undone
- A nail or screw has come undone thus allowing water in through that hole
- The coating on the foam has worn down causing it to deteriorate and eventually allow water in.
HOW ROOFING CONTRACTORS KNOW HOW TO FIND THE WET ROOF AREA
Roofing companies like Cezar’s Construction Inc employ the best roofing contractors who have 2 ways of finding the wet insulation, pulling core samples, and doing an infrared inspection.
How Pulling Core Samples WorksThe contractor will take a core sample from the insulation to see if it is wet. The insulation is right under the top layer of the roof which is a membrane.
The contractor will start in the areas he found to be wet, or show evidence of mold or water leaks and take samples from there.
How many core samples are necessary?
- How many core samples are necessary depends on each contractor and their experience but the average is 1-2 per 10,000 sq. ft. of roofing.
- Accurate Infrared Inspection
- Roofing contractors use infrared inspections to get accurate information on the saturated insulation area.
- An infrared inspection uses a specialized infrared camera to tell the difference between the membrane and insulation temperature.
- Roofers will wait until sunset to use the infrared camera as the membrane will be cooler than the warm wet insulation.
- Wet insulation will show in the temperature difference.
- If the insulation and the membrane were the same temperatures, that would indicate no leaks or saturated insulation.
CONTRACTORS DO THE FOLLOWING ONCE THEY HAVE FOUND THE SATURATED
Cezar’s Construction Inc employs the best roofing contractors who will remove the saturated or damp insulation and replace it with the same dry insulation material wherever possible.
Inexperienced contractors could install roofing systems over wet insulation which is the worst thing to do.
DO NOT ROOF OVER WET OR DAMP INSULATION
- When you install roofing systems over wet insulation, moisture or water gets trapped in the insulation and you will have problems later on.
- Moisture and water will evaporate in the Summer but the seams will stretch and break because of the blisters from the heat.
- If your roofing insulation has water in it in Winter it will freeze. Eventually, the frozen water will melt and find an entry point to go through. Entry points happen because of the expansion of the roofing material when the water in the insulation freezes.
- Always remember, never install a roof over wet insulation!
IF A ROOF IS 10-30% SATURATED MUST IT BE FIXED?
The average or safe mark is about 25%.
So what if 20% of the roof insulation is saturated, must it be repaired or restored? This depends on the contractors’ advice and the customers’ choice. Most knowledgeable contractors will strongly recommend it from 30% and above.
There are some factors though that will influence a complete tear-off, even if your roof is under 25% saturated, such as safety.
Another factor to think about is the age
Let’s say your roof’s life span is 25 years and now it is in year 24, then it will not be worth repairing now because it is due for a complete renewal or restoration soon.
The membrane and seam will show signs of being dry, cracked membranes and loss of adhesion is when it will be necessary to restore it or tear off completely.
Now you understand how wet insulation repairs and restorations are done, and what methods are used to determine saturation, like pulling core samples and doing infrared inspections.
DO NOT FORGET, never install roofs over wet insulation.